UK Learning Analytics Network, University of Edinburgh in Association with Jisc – LiveBlog

Today I am at the UK Learning Analytics Network organised by the University of Edinburgh in Association with Jisc. Read more about this on the Jisc Analytics blog.

As this is a live blog there may be spelling errors, typos etc. so corrections, comments, additions, etc. are welcome. 

Introduction – Paul Bailey

I’m Paul Bailey, Jisc lead on the Learning Analytics programme at the moment. I just want to say a little bit about the network. We have various bits of project activities, and the network was set up as a means for us to share and disseminate the work we have been doing, but also so that you can network and share your experience working in Learning Analytics.

Housekeeping – Wilma Alexander, University of Edinburgh & Niall Sclater, Jisc

Wilma: I am from the University of Edinburgh and I must say I am delighted to see so many people who have travelled to be here today! And I think for today we shouldn’t mention the election!

Niall: I’m afraid I will mention the election… I’ve heard that Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond have demanded that Tunnucks Teacakes and Caramel Wafers must be served at Westminster! [this gets a big laugh as we’ve all been enjoying caramel wafers with our coffee this morning!]

I’ll just quickly go through the programme for the day here. We have some really interesting speakers today, and we will also be announcing the suppliers in our learning analytics procurement process later on this afternoon. But we kick off first with Dragan.

Doing learning analytics in higher education: Critical issues for adoption and implementation – Professor Dragan Gašević, Chair in Learning Analytics and Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Learning Analytics: Implementation Issues – Sheila McNeill, Glasgow Caledonian University

Student data and Analytics work at the University of Edinburgh – Wilma Alexander, University of Edinburgh

Using learning analytics to identify ‘at-risk’ students within eight weeks of starting university: problems and opportunities – Avril Dewar, University of Edinburgh

The feedback hub; where qualitative learning support meets learning analytics – Wilbert Kraan, Cetis

Jisc work on Analytics – update on progress to date– Paul Bailey, Jisc and Niall Sclater. See http://analytics.jiscinvolve.org/wp/

Open Forum – input from participants, 15 min lightning talks.
Ideas for network supported projects (3 x £5k projects to explore new areas of learning analytics)

Conclusions from the day and timetable for future events

Share/Bookmark

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Nicola Osborne. Bookmark the permalink.

About Nicola Osborne

I am Digital Education Manager and Service Manager at EDINA, a role I share with my colleague Lorna Campbell. I was previously Social Media Officer for EDINA working across all projects and services. I am interested in the opportunities within teaching and learning for film, video, sound and all forms of multimedia, as well as social media, crowdsourcing and related new technologies.