Upcoming Event of Interest: Open Rights Group Event in Edinburgh, 10th May

This is a quick post to let readers of this blog know that there will be an Open Rights Group Scotland discussion day with Charlie Stross, Jim Killock and others, in Edinburgh during the afternoon of Saturday 10th May 2014 (next Saturday). Unfortunately I don’t think I will be able to make it along on Saturday but I thought others here may still be interested in booking a spot, and I would love to know how the event goes and how the discussions develop. 

The event is part of a fundraising and awareness-raising campaign for a new role and strand of Open Rights Group (ORG) activity in Scotland, in recognition of devolved digital rights issues here, and the differences between the Scottish and the English and Welsh legal systems.

For those not already familiar with ORG‘s work, the group campaign on digital rights issues and advocate for openness in digital contexts which brings in open source and open data but is more strongly concerned with digital democracy and digital rights. For this reason there are some particularly interesting connections between the likely topics of discussion at this upcoming event and some of the recommendations in the Spreading the Benefits of Digital Participation Inquiry Final Report surrounding digital rights and responsibilities.

More information and links to book a (free) place at the event can be found on MeetUp. And any comments/feedback on the event would be more than welcome in the comments section below. 

Share/Bookmark

This entry was posted in DigitalRights, ORG, scotland, Week In the Life by Nicola Osborne. Bookmark the permalink.

About Nicola Osborne

I am Digital Education Manager and Service Manager at EDINA, a role I share with my colleague Lorna Campbell. I was previously Social Media Officer for EDINA working across all projects and services. I am interested in the opportunities within teaching and learning for film, video, sound and all forms of multimedia, as well as social media, crowdsourcing and related new technologies.