The SUNCAT team would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Thank you to all who have contributed and used SUNCAT throughout 2016 and helped make this year our biggest and best yet. Here are some weird and wonderful Christmas-themed titles to enjoy and, following the weird and wonderful tradition, we hope you enjoy this Christmas bento image. Click through to get the recipe!
Jiji Christmas Bento. By Mokiko, taken 21 December 2013. Available via Creative Commons license 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/)
- Turkey–today & tomorrow / National Turkey Federation.
- The feathered world: and poultry farmer.
- A pocketful of meat facts.
- Poultry meat: broiler and turkey edition.
- Cranberries; the national cranberry magazine.
- Marketing Cape Cod cranberries.
- Marketing California brussels sprouts.
- Recommended varieties of brussels sprouts for single harvest and descriptive list for picking over.
- Gandy Goose.
- Donald Parsnips daily journal 1995 â€“ 1999.
- The Almanac of dried fruit and nuts.
- Kent’s Christmas yule log.
- The Biscuits & gravy quarterly.
- Salmon trout steelheader.
- Hot chestnuts.
- Deluxe Rubber Chicken.
- Chicken outfit.
- National chicken cooking contest recipes.
We look forward to bringing you an even bigger and better SUNCAT in 2017!
Today (29th September) is World Heart Day. This day was founded by the World Heart Federation in 2000 to inform people around the globe that heart disease and stroke are the worldâ€™s leading causes of death, claiming 17.5 million lives each year. Todayâ€™s theme is power your life â€“ to help people understand what they can do to fuel their hearts and power their lives. â€˜Your heart is at the heart of your health. And itâ€™s easy to give it the care it deserves.â€™
Heart. Image taken by Andrew, 1st Jan 2009. (Available via CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/)
Here are some heart-inspired serial titles in SUNCAT. Hope that you enjoy them and that this post reminds you to look after your heart.
- Heart to heart: the newsletter of the Coronary Prevention Group.
- Eye of the Heart : A Journal of Traditional Wisdom.
- Badger heart.
- Hooligan heart.
- Dante’s Heart.
- Bleeding heart.
- Share: global mission with a Latin heart.
- Cactus heart.
- Heart and hand: journal of the Family History Society of the Ancient Clan McManus.
- The joyful heart newsletter.
- Take heart: the latest news and advice from the British Heart Foundation.
- Hugs for the heart.
- My outcast heart.
- Heart-smart recipes.
- Crochet with heart.
- Pillars of the Immaculate Heart.
- Heart to heart romance library: love stories in pictures.
- Eager Heart Fairy Godmother Magazine. Oct. 1912.
- Beat. The heart of the music scene.
- Daggers to my heart.
- McCall’s quilting. America makes quilts from the heart.
- Lionheart magazine: for the roar in your heart.
- The Heart of oak: a choice selection of new songs.
- Four chambers: the heart of literature in Phoenix, Arizona.
- The Monitor, Designed to Improve the Taste, the Understanding and the Heart (1823-1824).
For more heart-themed journals take a look in SUNCAT.
Today is Hobbit Day and, indeed, Tolkien Week! The 22nd September is the birthday of the hobbits Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, two fictional characters in J. R. R. Tolkien‘s popular set of books The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Re-live the magic of Tolkienâ€™s books by looking at these Tolkien-inspired titles found in SUNCAT!
Le hobbit Ã©dition Deluxe. T. Lilly, 2014. Under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/.
- Wizard information service.
- The Wizard’s staff.
- The Lord of the Rings, Battle games in Middle Earth.
- Beyond Bree : newsletter of the Mensa Tolkien Special Interest Group. (Variant title: Itâ€™s Beyond Me!)
- Mallorn : the journal of the Tolkien Society.
- News from Fangorn.
- Amon Hen : the bulletin of the Tolkien Society of Great Britain.
- Quettar : bulletin of the Linguistic Fellowship of the Tolkien Society.
- Silver leaves from the white tree of hope.
- Hither shore.
- Poison elves.
- The Sprite : from the Elves of Ginnistian.
- Minas Tirith evening-star.
For more serials on Tolkien and other weird and wonderful titles take a look in SUNCAT.
On Wednesday the 18th May it is International Museum Day. Since it’s inception back in 1977, this day has provided an opportunity to raise awareness on how important museums are in the development of society. This year’s theme will be Museums and Cultural Landscapes. Participation in International Museum Day is growing among museums all over the world. In 2015, more than 35,000 museums participated in the event in some 145 countries.
The Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, 2005. By No machine-readable author provided. Maccoinnich~commonswiki assumed (based on copyright claims). [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons
There are a number of SUNCAT Contributing Libraries which are museum libraries: the British Museum; National Coal Mining Museum; National Museums Scotland (see the wonderful museum building above!); National Museum of Wales; and the Natural History Museum. Here are some wonderful museum-themed titles found in these and other SUNCAT Contributing Libraries.
- Ladies museum.
- The torch; or Glasgow museum.
- Leather Archives & Museum News.
- Fossum : the magazine of Friends of the Sedgwick Museum.
- The Bruce Museum : a museum of the arts and sciences.
- Ka ‘Elele : news of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum.
- Under the dome : the British Museum staff magazine.
- Farmer’s Weekly Museum.
- Memoirs of the Raffles Museum.
- Trolley fare / Pennsylvania Railway Museum Association.
- Water Words : news from the Waterworks Museum, Hereford.
- Oh! Cet cho! : museum kunst palast magazin.
- Mermaid / Friends of Merseyside Maritime Museum.
- Heirloom seed reference guide / from the Landis Valley Museum.
- MoNA now : news from the Museum of Northwest Art.
- Now & then : Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society newsletter.
- The Potato Museum’s peelings.
- The Flixton flier : newsletter of the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum.
- Palmnut Post : Magazine of Durban Natural Science Museum.
- Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum Memoir.
- AMuse news : Durban museums newsletter.
- Meeting Place : Royal Ontario Museum.
- Bloomers / British Museum.
- British Museum Attendants’ Mutual Life Assurance Society, afterwards British Museum Life Assurance Society [Annual Reports.]
- Museum documentation system : costume card instructions / Museum Documentation Association.
If you are a museum library and would like to participate in SUNCAT or if you would like to suggest a museum library as a possible Contributing Library do let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shakespeare400 is here! On the 23rd April it is the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare‘s death and all this year there are celebrations marking the great poet and playwright’s amazing legacy. There are many events happening all around the country, including performances, screenings, conferences and talks. There is also an exhibition Shakespeare in Ten Acts taking place at the British Library, one of our Contributing Libraries.
William Shakespeare has made a lasting impression not only in theatre and literature but also in the English language, as can be seen from the image below. His works are studied and enjoyed worldwide and this is reflected in the fascinating titles on Shakespeare found in SUNCAT.
Shakespeare. TRF_Mr_Hyde, 2012. Via Flickr – Creative Commons Attribution 2.0. Generic (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/).
- Borrowers and lenders : the journal of Shakespeare and appropriation.
- Around the Globe : the magazine of the International Shakespeare Globe Centre.
- The Shakespeare pictorial : a monthly illustrated chronicle of events in Shakespeareland.
- A groat’s worth of wit : journal of the Open University Shakespeare Society.
- The Swan of Avon.
- Boys of England Stories of Shakespeare : complete.
- The Upstart crow : a Shakespeare journal.
- Ivory leaves : A medium of expression for the new intensive study of Shakespeare.
- Shakespeare and His Legal Problems.
- “The Graphic” Gallery of Shakespeare’s Heroines. The stories of the several plays from which the pictures are taken … by W. E. Henley.
- Journal of the Wooden O Symposium.
- 1616 : saw the death of William Shakespeare & Miguel de Cervantes
- The London Shakespeare League journal.
- Shakespeare news from Japan : (Komazawa University Shakespeare Institute).
- Hamlet’s ghost.
- HAMNET : Folger Library catalog.
- An Elizabethan journal : second journal [&] last journal, 1591-1603.
- The Shakespeare problems / ed. by Alfred William Pollard and John Dover Wilson.
- The great cryptogram: Francis Bacon’s cipher in the so called Shakespeare plays / by Ignatius Donnelly.
- Fair Thoughts and Happy Hours attend on you. A Shakespeare Calendar for the year 1905. [With coloured illustrations and initials.]
- The Shakespearean almanacke : an occasional paper for the study of astrology in the works of Shakespeare and his contempories.
- “The Graphic” Gallery of Shakespeare’s Heroines. The stories of the several plays from which the pictures are taken … by W. E. Henley.
- Ariel : the Stratford-upon-Avon messenger.
There are many other serials on Shakespeare in SUNCAT. Why not take a look?
Today (14th April) is National Dolphin Day. Ranging in size from 4 ft to up to 30 feet, dolphins are among almost forty species in 17 genera. Find out 10 interesting facts about dolphins and look at our weird and wonderful dolphin titles below. (We have added a couple of whale and porpoise titles, not to leave them out!)
Dolphins. DaBear Media, 2007. CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/)
- Sonar : the magazine of the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.
- Wavelet : the magazine for junior supporters of HWDT.
- Dolphin superpack for boys and girls.
- POD news : adopt a dolphin.
- Arion’s dolphin.
- The Daily Dolphin : A serio-comic political periodical.
- Dolphin dreams.
- Dolphin insight.
- Dolphin log : a publication of the Cousteau Society.
- Whales alive! / Cetacean Society International.
- Whulj : newsletter of the Puget Sound Chapter of the American Cetacean Society.
- Porpoise : a poem in 4 sections and in 32 books.
For more dolphin titles and other weird and wonderful serials take a look in SUNCAT.
Today, 1st April, is of course April Fool’s Day. This is the perfect opportunity to share with you some weird and wonderful titles on the subject of fools, humour and jokes. This is not an April Fool – these titles really are in SUNCAT!
April Fool’s from Kennedy Library. The Robert E. Kennedy Library at California Polytechnic State University, 2010. Available under CC Attribution-Non Commerical 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/)
- The Granta : a college joke to cure the dumps.
- Monkeyshines on you! : the original monkeyshines joke book.
- The Laughter prescription newsletter. (Laughter prescription, because humor is healing.)
- Fool Time prospectus.
- Sportophyte : a British journal of botanical humour.
- The cabinet of life, wit and humour.
- The Golden Halfpenny : A budget of humour, fact and fiction.
- Stitches : the journal of medical humour.
Today (25th January) is not only the birthday of Scotland’s national poet Robert Burns, but also EDINA‘s 20th birthday! SUNCAT is helping to mark this occasion with this special blog post of weird and wonderful University of Edinburgh serial titles. As you know EDINA is based at this great institution, and is located just down the road from Edinburgh Castle. We have also found some wonderful publications of Edinburgh clubs. Join us in wishing EDINA a wonderful birthday and many more successful years ahead.
Edinburgh Fireworks. By Chris Combe from York, UK (Edinburgh Fireworks) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.
- Jabberwock : Edinburgh University review.
- Fox: Edinburgh University poetry magazine.
- The New evergreen, Christmas book of University hall [Edinburgh university].
- The Gambolier: a light journal, Edinburgh University.
- Edinburgh University English Literature Society Paumflet.
- University of Edinburgh Staff Club scene.
- New Gambit : Edinburgh University Review.
- Town and gown lectures/ University of Edinburgh, Extra-rural Committee.
- Ge. Being the magazine of the Edinburgh University Geographical Society.
- Survival guide : the Edinburgh University students’ handbook.
- The journal of the fair [i.e. the Edinburgh University Union fancy fair, Waverley Market] / [edited by William K. Dickson.]
- The rebel student. Official organ of the Edinburgh University Labour Party.
- An account from Scotland and London-derry of the proceedings against the Duke of Gordon, in the Castle of Edinburgh.
- Ye Tartan Club annual.
- Rules of the Innominate Club.
- Proceedings of the Library Club of the Royal Edinburgh Asylum / Royal Edinburgh Asylum for the Insane. Library Club.
- The L. & C. Magazine … The official organ of the City of Edinburgh Lighting and Cleansing Department Welfare Club.
- The Hibee.
- The Carrying Stream Festival.
For more Edinburgh-themed journals and other weird and wonderful titles take a look in SUNCAT.
It may be the case that no Northern Hemisphere teams are through to the semi finals in the Rugby World Cup, but let SUNCAT put a smile on your face with our weird and wonderful ‘happiness’ titles! Smile (and possibly dance) yourself to a happy place.
By D. Sharon Pruitt from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, USA (Sunset Party Dancing Girl Silhouette) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- The happy hypocrite.
- Happiness or bust!
- What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?
- ISmile : connecting people with health & happiness.
- Club music : the disjockey guide to happiness.
- The Helicon. Dedicated to the pursuit of happiness. (The … magazine of the Helicon Club.)
- The Cottage Lamp: an aid to happiness in this world and the next.
- Crisis; or, The change from error and misery, to truth and happiness.
- Happiness holding tank.
- The Truth Promoter. The truth, the only way to the freedom, elevation, and happiness of man.
- The British magazine, and periodical gleaner, or depository for hints and suggestions calculated to promote the comfort and happiness of man.
- The Moral and Religious Cabinet, Containing Short Accounts of Christian Experience, Together with Instructive and Useful Extracts, Intended to Promote the Happiness of Pious Minds (1808-1808).
- Happy pappy.
- The happy warrior.
- Sick happy idle.
- Super hero happy hour.
- Homer the happy ghost.
- Happy star dance.
- The happy pig : the official publication of the Happy Pig Collectors Club.
- Anorak : the happy mag for kids.
- The happy planet index.
- Many happy returns : newsletter of the United States Boomerang Association.
- The Chicago Basha Betelnut and “hump-happy times.”
- The happy holidayland of Wales.
- PLOC : the happy mag for little ones.
- The happy artocrat data series.
- The Happy Robin. (The official organ of the Happy Robins and Cheery Chicks.)
- The Happy Kalendar of Cockney Sparrows with Nightingale Voices. Done by … Desmond Morse-Boycott.
- Are you scared to get happy? : getting back to basics, a punk rock fanzine.
- Marriage : A high-class weekly journal for promoting happy marriages in England and the colonies, etc.
- Coach & grow R.I.C.H (rich, inspired, confident, happy) newsletter.
For more happy titles take a look in SUNCAT.
Today (6th October) is National Badger Day,which celebrates how magnificent and important one of the oldest native species is to the British countryside and its people. As part of the celebrations many badger groups around the UK are holding eventsÂ between the 4th and 12th October. They are very interesting animals and so it is not surprising that there are several weird and interesting titles containing ‘badger’. Disclaimer: some titles are not strictly about the animal!
Stamp of USSR, Zoo Relief Fund. Badger, 1989. Scanned and processed by A. Sdobnikov (Personal collection) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons from Wikimedia Commons.
- Badger chess.
- Badger buzz.
- Badger trucker.
- Maple Street Press Badger kickoff.
- The Badger birder.
- The Badger enterprise.
- The Badger common tater.
- The Menomonie badger.
- The badger philatelist.
- Badger saves the world.
- Badger stamp notes.
- Badger country : news and views from the Badger Brewery.
- The Badger : newsletter of the Badge Collectors’ Circle.
- The Badgerscope.
For more badger titles and other weird and wonderful journals take a look in SUNCAT.